Let us go to the step by step preparation of gobi manchurian or cauliflower manchurian
- Chop cauliflower into medium sized florets. Heat water in a pan with little salt and vinegar. When hot, switch off the stove. Wash florets in normal water, then blanch them in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. This will remove insects and dust. After fifteen minutes, drain and keep aside.
- Mix corn flour, all purpose flour, sugar, salt and water to make a semi-thick batter in dropping consistency.
- Dip each cauliflower florets in this batter to make a nice coating.
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry them on medium low flame for one or two minutes. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- After fifteen minutes, fry again till golden brown in colour. This will make the florets super crispy. Remove from heat and keep aside. (Note: You can fry them to golden brown colour in the first time also.)
- Chop ginger and garlic finely and keep aside. Cut onion into small square shaped pieces. Separate each layer and keep aside. Cut capsicum in small square shaped pieces.
- Heat oil in another wok, add ginger and garlic and saute on high flame for a few seconds. Then add green chilies and again saute for half seconds.
- Add onion and saute, then add capsicum saute for a few seconds. ( Note: Don’t overcook, it should remain crunchy.)
- Add tomato sauce, chili sauce, soy sauce, white pepper powder (Note: black pepper powder also can be used), a pinch of sugar, salt and kashmiri chili powder. Mix well and cook till bubbles. Immediately add corn flour mixed in water and cook till the gravy thickens.
- Add cauliflower pieces just before serving and give a nice stir so that the gravy coats the pieces completely.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion greens and coriander leaves Serve hot.
Gobi manchurian pairs very nicely with fried rice, nan, chapati etc.
My notes on gobi manchurian or cauliflower manchurian
- Clean cauliflower florets by soaking them in warm salted water for 15 minutes.
- Fry cauliflower florets in one or two batches till crispy.
- Chili sauce and soy sauce are two main flavouring agents in this recipe, adjust the quantity of them to get desired taste.