Beetroot pachadi is a part of sadya (Kerala’s vegetarian feast.). It is one of the inevitable part of Kerala sadya. Beetroot pachadi is made of beetroot, coconut paste and curd. We like it very much. Try this with steamed rice.
In this pachadi recipe, I used one medium beetroot, after grating yield was around two cups of beetroot. You can cook it with oil also, but I have added 1/2 cup of water in order to minimize oil consumption.If you want more gravy, add more water while cooking beetroots but this recipe usually done in semigravy consistency as shown in the picture. After preparation, give a resting time of half an hour, it will retain its colour and better taste.
Author: Anju Aneesh
Recipe type: Side dish
Cuisine: South India, Kerala
Preparation time:15 minutes / Cooking time: 10 minutes / Total time: 35 Minutes
Let us go to the step by step beetroot pachadi
- Cook grated beetroot, chopped green chilies and chopped ginger with 1/4 cup of water. Cook covered on low-medium flame for three to four minutes until the beetroot became soft.
- Grind grated coconut, green chilies and mustard seeds with 1/2 cup of water.
- Add this coconut paste to the cooked beetroot and cook covered on low-medium flame for one minute until the raw taste of coconut leaves.
- Add beaten curd, mix well and immediately switch off the stove, not letting the curd to boil. At this stage, the curry should have a medium consistency, neither thick nor thin or dry.
- In another pan, heat two tablespoons of oil, crackle mustard seeds, and saute red chilies and curry leaves for one or two seconds.
- Pour the whole thing to the dish Close with the lid and let it rest for sometime before serving.
- Delicious beetroot pachadi is ready, serve with steamed rice.