Ridge gourd is a very common vegetable in most Indian household. It can be cooked in many different ways, it is one of them. Here, the ridge gourd-lentil- prawn mixture is blended in coconut paste. Try this, you will definitely like it.
This curry goes well with steamed rice. You can have this with chapati also.
Let us go to the step by step preparation of ridge gourd shrimp curry
- Pressure cook chopped ridge gourd and lentil with one cup of water. After the first whistle on high flame, turn to medium low flame. Switch off the stove immediately after the second whistle.
- Cook prawns in an another pan with 2 tablespoons of water and enough salt. once cooked, switch off the stove and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, make a fine paste of grated coconut with green chilies, shallots, cumin seeds and 1/2 cup of water and reserve.
- Mix cooked ridge gourd lentil mixture with the cooked prawns. Cook again for some more time till the water reduces to half. Add enough salt. (salt is not added in the ridge gourd lentil mixture).
- Add the coconut paste, mix well and cook covered for one or two minutes till the raw smell of coconut goes.
- To prepare seasoning, heat 2 tablespoon oil in another pan, splutter mustard seeds, saute curry leaves and red chilies for one or two minutes. Immediately pour on the top of the curry.
7. Keep it covered for half an hour before serving. Then serve with steaming rice.
My notes on peechinga chemmeen curry
- How to chop ridge gourd - Trim both ends and remove its ridges with a sharp knife. Then chop them finely into small pieces.
- I used 1/4 cup grated coconut for gravy. If you want thick gravy, you can increase its amount from 1/2 to 3/4 cup.