One of the easiest and flavorful biriyani cooked in aromatic Indian spices. Biriyani is one of the most popular Indian rice dishes that makes special with wonderful aroma and delicious taste.
I have shared Malabar chicken biriyani few weeks before. Today we will see the egg biriyani recipe, much easier compared to other recipes. Both are dum biriyanies where the steam is trapped inside to allow slow cooking.
I know it is a lengthy recipe, but once you prepare this, I am sure, you will love it. It makes a perfect combo with raita and pickle.
Before, I go to the recipe, I have to point out that why I used only 4 cups of water for 21/2 cups rice ( normally for 1 cup rice, 2 cup water is used). This is because we don’t need a fully cooked rice, the rice should only ¾ th cooked first and the remaining will be finished by dum process.
Also, never miss the pineapple essence, as it provides a wonderful aroma to the whole dish.
Let us go to the step by step preparation of egg biriyani
- Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes, drain and keep aside.
- Boil eggs separately, deshell and keep aside.
- Crush, cardamom, clove, peppercorns, cinnamon and sajeera.
Preparation for garnish
- Heat I teaspoon ghee in a pan, fry cashew till golden brown,
then add raisins and fry till they puff up.
- Slice onions as thinly as possible. Fry it in oil till golden brown. These are fried onions or barista. Keep aside.
To cook rice
- Heat 1 teaspoon ghee in a pan, add drained rice and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Heat 4 cups water in a deep pan, add pineapple essence, crushed spices, biriyani colour or saffron in milk (optional )and rice and mix well. Once it starts to boil, add salt and cook on low flame till it ¾ th done. Do not over cook it.
To make egg masala
- Heat 3 tablespoon coconut oil in another pan, Make fine paste of ginger and garlic and sauté till raw smell leaves.
- Add onion and green chili till the onions turns brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it completely cooked.
- Reduce heat and add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and biriyani masala powder and sauté for two minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and let it boil.
- Add halved eggs and yogurt, cook till the
gravy thickens. (We need thick gravy).
- Add coriander leaves and mint leaves. Remove from the flame.
- Take a pan with a tight lid, apply some oil on the bottom. Make one layer of rice, sprinkle a pinch biriyani masala, add a few coriander leaves, fried onions, some cashew and raisins.
- Make a second layer with the egg gravy. (You can make two to three such layers).
- Then make a final layer with rice. Sprinkle some biriyani masala and ghee. Spread fried cashew, raisins, barista or fried onions, chopped coriander and mint leaves.
- Close with a tight lid and heat on low flame for two to three minutes. Switch off the stove and keep closed for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Egg biriyani is now ready to serve. Serve with pickle, coconut chutney and raita.
Some notes on egg biriyani
- Here I used basmati rice, you can use any type of biriyani rice, like jeera rice, kaima rice etc.
- Here I used only 4 cups of water for 2 1/2 cups rice ( normally for 1 cup rice, 2 cups water is used). This is because we don’t need a fully cooked rice, the rice should only ¾ th cooked, while dum process it will cook completely. If you want, you can use more water, in that case, drain after the rice became 3/4th cooked.
- Never miss the pineapple essence.
- If you want to remove spices after cooking rice, do not crush it, but I strongly prefer, as crushing will enhance the flavors.