Today, we will see a wonderful Italian recipe, Panna Cotta. Panna cotta is actually a milk based sweet thickened with gelatin. The basic Panna cotta can be flavored with different flavoring agents and can be topped with a variety of jellies and sauces.
Here, we will give vanilla flavor and will be topped with strawberry jelly. It is an easy recipe, once you prepare this, you will be a fan of this dish. The taste of strawberry along with the refreshing flavor of vanilla will enthrall our taste buds.
I used gelatin as a thickening agent. As a vegetarian option, we can replace gelatin with agar agar or china grass.
The strawberry can also be poured as a sauce, in that case skip the addition of gelatin in strawberry juice. Also the amount of sugar used depends on the taste of strawberries, do a taste test before adding sugar.
Step by step
- Sprinkle 4 teaspoons of gelatin in water till they turn soft. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- After resting time, the gelatin will be soft and will look like this. (You may soak gelatin in two batches as half of which is used only after the panna cotta is completely set.)
- Once the gelatin is ready, let us start preparing vanilla panna cotta. Take fresh cream or whipping cream in a bowl.
- Beat till smooth.
- Take 1 cup milk and fresh cream in a sauce pan.
- Add sugar.
- Once start to boil, switch off the flame and immediately add gelatin.
- Also add clear vanilla essence.
- Mix gently so that the gelatin dissolves completely in milk. Make sure, the milk is hot enough to dissolve gelatin.
- Pour in four slanted glasses and refrigerate till set. It will take three to four hours in the fridge, (not in freezer).
- Once the panna cotta has been set, we will prepare strawberry jelly. Start this step only after the panna cotta sets completely.
- Chop strawberries in to small pieces.
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Cook covered on medium flame.
- Strawberries will turn soft with in minutes.
- Grind into a smooth paste. The mixture will be hot, grind only when cools down completely. Sieve into the same pan. We need a smooth juice for jelly.
- Add sugar and also water if needed. The amount of sugar depends on the taste of strawberry. So do a taste test. I used 2 tablespoons of sugar here.
- Cook till the sugar dissolve. (If you want, you can skip the addition of gelatin and can be served as panna cotta with strawberry sauce.)
- Then add gelatin.
- Mix well. Let it cool down.
- Pour over the vanilla panna cotta and keep in refrigerator once again.
- Serve chilled. Enjoy....
- Adjust sugar level according to the taste of strawberries.
- Also pour over the panna cotta only the sauce cools down completely. Otherwise, the first layer will melt.
- Thickening will be faster, if you keep this in refrigerator.