Stuffed banana or the pazham nirachathu is the stuffed plantain with sweet coconut filling. It is a very popular dish of Malabar especially during iftar . I tasted this recipe just a few days before from a Kerala-based famous bakery in Mangalore. They prepared this as a special recipe for the period of id. They added grated coconut, rice flakes and sugar.In every bite we could experience the nice aroma of cardamon flavor. But in Malabar area, it also prepares with grated coconut, egg, sugar and cardamon.
To be frank, it was a new dish for me. I never tasted this before. In our area, pazham pori is famous and we are making it frequently.Within one week, we made this dish at home. Try this , you will also follow me. It is just like pazham pori, but the difference is in the stuffing. you can easily make this at home.
Let us go to the step by step preparation of pazham nirachathu
- Heat a thick bottomed pan. Melt one tablespoon ghee.
- Add 3/4 cup grated coconut, two to two and half teaspoon sugar and a quarter cup water. Cook on medium-low heat until the water almost dries up.
- Add rice flakes and mix well. Cook again until all most all the water evaporates. Add cardamom powder and switch off the stove. (you can also add ghee-fried cashew and resins).
- Peel and cut bananas in two and make two longitudinal cuts in all pieces and remove the portion and keep aside. Remove the black seeds. If you feel it hard, don't try.
- Take one or two teaspoons of coconut mixture and fill in the slit in the banana.
- Cover with the removed portion, press lightly. Do the same with all banana pieces and keep aside.
- Take one cup all-purpose flour, one tablespoon rice flour, a quarter tablespoon turmeric powder, salt and half teaspoon sugar in a bowl.
- Add 3/4 to one cup water and mix thoroughly to get a smooth batter.
- .Heat oil in a pan. Dip banana pieces in the batter and fry them until they turn golden brown, gently flip and cook the other side also.
My notes on pazham nirachathu
Never add too much water while preparing batter. The batter should not be too thick or too thin. It should be in a medium consistency.