The bottle gourd was the least attractive vegetable for me until I made this dish.This recipe is for those who dislike bottle gourd. Just try it, you will also like this vegetable.
Let us go to the step by step preparation of bottle gourd toor dal curry
- Wash thoroughly and remove the skin of bottle gourd and make small pieces of it and keep aside.
together coconut, shallots, garlic, green chilly, curry leaves and cumin seeds
(jeera) to get a fine paste.
- Pressure cook
dal with one cup of water, switch off the stove after two whistles, wait until the pressure leaves completely, mash it with the back of the spoon and keep aside.
- In another pan, cook the bottle gourd salt and 3/4 cup of water. Cook covered.
- Mix the cooked bottle gourd with mashed dal and coconut paste. Cover with a lid. Let it boil for one minute. (Let the coconut paste to cook.) Immediately switch off the stove.
- Heat two tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan, add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds, allow it to crackle, add curry leaves and chopped shallots, saute for a few minutes. Switch off the stove and pour into the curry.
My notes on churakka parippu curry ( Bottle gourd toor dal curry)
- Cook dal and bottle gourd separately.
- Don’t add too much water while cooking dal. If so drain before mixing with bottle gourd
- Mash dal before mixing with bottle gourd.