Bagara khana or bagara rice or bagara chawal or bagara
is a Hydrabadi delicacy, cooked in aromatic spices. It is a very popular dish
in Hyderabad functions.
Begara khana is ideal for those who like to experience biriyani without meat and vegetables. The caraway seeds give a flavour similar to biriyani, it can be called a mock biriyani. It goes very well with spicy vegetable curries and also non-veg curries.
When I prepared this dish for the first time, I was very confused and really scared whether my kids like this or not. But surprisingly, we got a delicious, flavorful dish. My family enjoyed very much. I am so glad to share this with you. Try this; this will be a real surprise for your family.
Let us see the step by step preparation of Bagara Khana
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Crackle caraway seed.
- Then add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf for one minute on low flame till a nice aroma starts.
- Saute onion till they became transparent.
- Add slit green chilies, ginger paste and garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add drained basmati rice and sauté for a few minutes till they became dry and start to crackle.
- Add 3 cups of water and let it come to boil, add ghee, mint leaves and coriander leaves and cover it with a lid and cook on low-medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes till all the water evaporate and the rice cook nicely.
- Once cooked, separate the rice grains with a fork and serve with any spicy gravy.
My notes on Bagara Khana
- You can garnish it with Ghee fried cashews and fried onions.