Cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry is not a special dish for us, right? It is made in our homes at least two to three times a month. Everyone might have known this recipe, but still I am sharing this for the one who just start cooking.
We can make cabbage thoran in many ways, sometimes the coconut, green chilies and shallots are crushed like other thorans, but here I am sharing the method which I felt more tastier. This is my amma's recipe. When I started cooking after marriage, every time I crushed coconut and mixed with partially cooked cabbage in the usual way. But I never felt the taste of my amma's thoran. There were some minor differences, which is the highlight of this sharing. Let us go to the recipe....
Let us see the step by step preparation of cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry
- Take chopped cabbage, green chilies, grated coconut, cumin seeds, curry leaves and salt in a pan and mix gently with your hands.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, crackle mustard seeds, add red chilies, Saute for a minute.
- Add cabbage-coconut mixture and sprinkle some water.
- Cook covered for a few minutes till the cabbage became soft and raw smell of the coconut leaves.
- Serve with hot rice.
My note on cabbage thoran or cabbage stir fry
- Some recipes call for vegetables to cut julienne specifically, this is one of such recipe, you can chop vegetables thinly but I strongly suggest to cut them julienne. ( long strips).
- Also mix thoran with your hand for best results.