Honey chili chicken is a delightfully tasty appetizer or starter, which is cooked in Chinese way. There are lots of Indo- Chinese cuisines which we like to have. You might have tasted this dish many times, why don't we try at home today.
Here, the marinated chicken is deep fried till crispy and then tossed in Chinese sauce as we do in most of the Chinese dishes. It can be considered as a sweeter version of chili chicken.
For marination, I used the five spice powder and red chili paste. Have you heard of it? Both are readily available in the market. If don’t find, you can easily make at home. I have given separate post for both.
Let us see how to make honey chili chicken
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces. You can cut them into small strips also.
- Pour about 1 ½ teaspoon light soya sauce,
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder,
- 1 ½ teaspoon red chili paste,
- Sprinkle some salt. Note: The soya sauce itself is salty, so adjust accordingly.
- 1 egg (The egg act as a binding agent),
- and two to three tablespoons of corn flour. If you want to make the chicken pieces crispier, add some more corn flour.
- Mix well and keep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take a wok, heat oil.
- Add chicken pieces, one at a time. Fry a few pieces at a time till they became crisp, do not over fry them, the chicken should remain soft and juicy.
- Drain on a paper towel. Repeat the same with the rest of pieces.
Preparation of sauce
- First of all, mix all the sauces together as it will be easy for us to cook the sauce on high heat. In a small bowl, take 2 teaspoon tomato sauce, 1 ½ teaspoon red chili sauce, five spice powder and red chili paste. Add three to four teaspoons of water and mix well. If your red chili paste is already watery, no need to add water.
- Then, take a pan or wok and saute sesame seeds till golden
brown. Transfer into another bowl.
- Pour two to three teaspoons of oil (We can take the same oil that used in frying.)
- Saute 1 ½ teaspoon chopped ginger till the raw smell leaves. The ginger pieces will become slightly darker in colour, but never burn them.
- Add the sauce mix which we already prepared, cook on high flame for a few seconds.
- Once it starts to bubble and immediately add the fried chicken pieces and toss it.
- Add 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- a pinch of salt and toss on high flame for 5 minutes.
- Now add chopped spring onion and roasted sesame seeds. Toast again.
- Honey chili chicken is ready, serve hot.
Author: Anju Aneesh
Recipe type: Starter
Preparation time: 15 Minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
Direction of preparation of honey chili chicken