I have already posted cabbage thoran recipe a few weeks before, today I will post another thoran recipe which is a very common dish of our house, kothamara thoran.
The beans shown in the photos are the cluster beans or gour beans which is known as kothamara in Malayalam. It is a very common vegetable of South India. Here I am explaining kothamara thoran, normal dish of Kerala houses. It goes really well with rice. I make it quite often for my hubby.
The cluster beans have a slight bitter taste which is toned down by adding grated coconut and green chilies. This is very rich in dietary fibers, it will be good to include this one in our daily menu.
Let us see the preparation of kothamara thoran with step by step pictures
- Trim ends of cluster beans and chop them into small pieces. It will be around 2 cups.
- Transfer into a pan and add around 3/4 cup water and enough salt.
- Once it starts to boil, reduce the flame to low and cook covered until the beans turn soft and all the water evaporates.
- Meanwhile, take two to three green chillies in a mixer grinder and crush it, then add 1 cup grated coconut and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Crush once again and keep aside.
- Now we will prepare the thoran. Heat oil in another pan, splutter mustard seeds, saute curry leaves and red chillies for a minute.
- Add cooked cluster beans and saute for one or two minutes and make it dry.
- Add crushed coconut and mix well.
- Cook covered for one or two minutes till the raw smell leaves.
- Kothamara thoran is now ready. Serve with rice.