Friendship is a spark from heaven, which never ends. We make friends throughout our lives, but the childhood friendship, it is something special. We never forget the first friendship, maybe because of its unconditional, innocent and free nature. Yes, you are correct, this recipe always reminds me she, my first friend and her mother's lemon pickle. Of course, it is my all time favorite pickle. We still are continuing our perennial friendship.Now it is the time to describe few words about this recipe.
This is a sweet pickle where the taste of chili and lemon is very well overcome with sweetness. The amount of sugar added will depend on the taste of lemon and the chili powder used. Adjust the amount of sugar according to your preference.
The oil used here is sesame oil / nallenna or ellenna, which we usually used for pickle. You can also add some coconut oil, if you want.
Saute lemon a bit till soft, so that all the ingredients will absorb easily in the lemon. I didn't saute more as I will keep my pickle untouched for three to four days before use. By that time, the lime will be softened and will absorb all the ingredients.
Let us see the step by step preparation of sweet lemon pickle
- Wash lemon thoroughly with water and wipe with a dry cloth. Then make two cuts longitudinally or make four pieces.
- Now let us start cooking, heat 1/2 cup of sesame oil/ nallenna / ellenna in a kadai. If you want, you can use some coconut oil along with it. I didn't use.
- Now splutter mustard seeds.
- When crackle completely, add curry leaves.
- then add garlic.
- Now add chopped lemon, saute till they turn soft. Do not saute too much. the lemon may break. To avoid breaking, saute lemon first and then chop.
- Now add 3/4 to 1 cup sugar.
- Cook till the sugar melts. You can cook it for two to three minutes at this stage.
- Add salt as needed, I used about 1 teaspoon salt. I can't give the exact amount. Adjust at the end.
- Meanwhile, dry roast chili powder for one or two minutes on low flame till the raw smell vanishes.
- Mix with the lemon.
- Cook on medium flame for one or two minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add vinegar. Do a taste test and add salt if needed. If you want to preserve this for a long time, use more vinegar and oil.
- Finally sprinkle a pinch of asafoetida powder.
- Now pickle is ready, store in a dry airtight container.
- It will remain at room temperature for 1 week, if you want to keep for more days, please refrigerate.