Who doesn't like to have a hot spicy cutlet accompanied with a cup of piping hot tea. Today, we will see a special tasty cutlet with banana blossom/ vazhakoombu / vazhachundu / Kudappan. These spicy deep fried snacks are one the most tempting cutlets I have ever tasted.
I have already given a post on banana blossom. In that post, I have explained the cleaning and handling techniques in details. If you have any doubts, please go to that post Vazhakoombu thoran or banana blossom stir fry.
But still, I would like to remind that not all varieties of banana blossom are not suitable for cooking. Some of them have a bitter taste. So choose a good variety of blossoms.
Have a look at other cutlet recipes
Step by step preparation of banana bloosom
- Heat oil in a pan and add in finely chopped onion, green chilies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute till the onion turns transparent. No need to brown.
- Once the onion turns translucent, add chopped banana blossom pieces. Either keep chopped banana pieces in water or apply some oil over it in order to prevent darkening. I usually keep in water and squeeze all water before use.
- Mix well and saute for one or two minutes till the mixture heats up. Then salt to taste, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 3/4 teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon pepper powder.
- Mix well and cook covered on low flame till the pieces cooked well.
- Then add mashed potatoes.
- Mix nicely so the mixture loses the extra moisture content and became dry as possible.
- Then transfer everything into another bowl and keep this for some time till the mixture cools down completely.
- Then mix everything well with your hands or a spoon and mash if any big pieces of potato is remain there. You can add some bread crumbs if the mixture is still wet.
- Now make small lemon sized balls.
- Dip these balls in corn flour or maida batter made by mixing 1 teaspoon flour in 3 to 4 teaspoons water. (You can use egg whites also).
- Then roll in bread crumbs.
- Flatten by gently pressing between your palm. Then give desire shape.
- Heat oil in another pan and fry them until they turn golden brown color.
- Flip and cook the other side also.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney.
Suggestions and tips
- Some varieties of banana flower will have a slight bitter taste. If you are not sure about the variety, boil in water first, discard water. Use this drained kudappan for cutlets.
- Chopped banana blossom shows a tendency to turn black with time. To avoid this, keep the pieces in water till use. The use of oil will also give the same effect.
- Make sure that you squeezed all the water before cooking.